Wednesday 31 January 2007

Imperial Centenary Launch Day

30th Jan 2007 marks the Centenary of Imperial College London. It's a day of celebration for all the people at the College. Unfortunately, lectures were not cancelled and had to go on as usual :( Nevertheless, the celebration was rather impressive.

It all started off early in the day when the Queen Tower's bells were rung to herald the start of this momentous year for Imperial. Music was then played throughout the day. When I reached College, it was somewhat different to me. Not because there were balloons everywhere but I felt a slight change in environment. People were exceptionally jovial, excited and boisterous.

I had my lectures until 12pm and then, FREE to join the celebration! Lunch in SCR (Senior Common Room) was awesome. And, it's cheap!

Menu for the day. Only for £1.50!


This was what I had. I should have taken the Salmon! It would have been much better.


Imperial even has its own red wine :S

After lunch, we headed to Queen's Lawn and started taking photos. There were jugglers as well.

Me, Shin Hung and Deng Wei [At Queen's Lawn]


London Fire Brigade! This vehicle is maintained by the people from the Mechanical Engineering Department

And, the interesting part: They allowed students to enter Queen's Tower!
For your information:
The Queen's Tower is 287m tall. There are 324 steps from the ground to the base of the dome.

They lock Queens Tower for a very good reason: This is where students of Imperial committed suicide in the past.

We waited for about 2 hours to enter Queens Tower :S


We were all bored and decided to take more photos. LOL




In Queens Tower


Top of the Tower!


Royal Albert Hall from the top of the tower!


We had a free Centenary Cake!

Happy 100th Birthday Imperial!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, I wished I was there. I bet it was a blast then and everyone was happy. Why must I always have things when things like this happen. Sigh. So sad.

Heng Kai said...

don't worry! i bet ur enjoying yourself in norway as well! =) how's norway??

Anonymous said...

Well, if you like snow you are going to love it here. There is about 2 feet of snow every where and some up to 8 feet high. Temperature wise is quite mild max 0 degrees. Norway is nice. Very pretty and scenic.

But I feel quite sad and stupid because I did something idiotic before I came here so now I'm really regretting it.

How have you been?

Heng Kai said...

max temp 0 degrees??? OMG! london is already cold enough for me..
what stupid thing did u do??
and, i'm alright. busy! and tired! :(

Anonymous said...

Oh well, I'm sure will be able to cope with work and MNight. Don't worry. Just think of it as routine. And just enjoy the ride. Don't stress too much. We don't want to see white hair around right? ;)

Aimi said...

waaa u so lucky heng kai. my day was packed full of lectures from 10-6 and i only had an hour lunch =(
didnt even get any cake!!!

centenary ball is on my birthday though =D

aimi x

sp said...

lol hengkai lar! ate so many pieces... :P

Anonymous said...

Did he now... Well, knowing Heng Kai he can never resist food...